Union Veterinary Clinic has a fully stocked pharmacy of prescription and over-the-counter medications. Please give our staff 48 hours when requesting a refill. We will do our best to make your prescription available as soon as needed. Please allow extra time to order special medications.
Due to the overwhelming amount of prescription request we receive every day, we at Union Veterinary Clinic have to institute a policy for providing prescriptions to be filled at outside pharmacies.
• If we have a medication in stock, we are happy to provide it for you through Union Vet Clinic’s in house pharmacy.
• If you choose to have your prescription filled elsewhere, or we do not stock the medication in the clinic, we will be happy to provide you with one written prescription for you to fill at the pharmacy of your choosing. If you need a duplicate written prescription, there will be a charge of $25.00.
• We are no longer able to call or fax prescriptions into any pharmacy. If your pet is on a long-term medication, we can provide the appropriate number of refills on your written prescription.
• For controlled drugs, there are DEA regulations in place for the number of pills that can be dispensed at one time, the number of refills that can be on a prescription, and the time from that the dispensing pharmacy can honor those refills. For most controlled medications, the maximum that can be dispensed is a 1-month supply. Prescribers are allowed to place up to 5 refills on the prescription, essentially allowing a 6-month supply with one prescription. These refills must be used within 6 months of that date written on the original prescription. After 6 months, a new written prescription will need to be issued. Pharmacies may have their own criteria for filling controlled substances, so please be sure to check with the pharmacist where you get your prescription filled.
• If your pet has not been examined by one of our vets, we are legally prevented for providing any prescriptions or refill authorizations for them.
• All prescription requests, whether for in-house or a written prescription, will require minimum 48 hours’ notice for approval.
These policies do not apply to heartworm prevention, flea/tick prevention, and prescription foods. You can continue to order them online and have the requests faxed to your veterinarian here at Union Vet for approval.
We thank you for your understanding. We are continually looking fore ways to serve our clients better and feel strongly that this will eliminate any confusion or errors surrounding prescriptions.
Please call us to request a refill (202) 544-2500, or fill out the online request form here.